Olanzapine treatment during breast feeding: a case report.
Postpartum psychosis constitutes a severe complication that entails risk for both mother and child. Little is known about the use of olanzapine in the treatment of postpartum psychosis. In previous studies, it has been reported on mothers receiving relatively low doses of olanzapine. We report a 38-year-old patient who was admitted to the hospital for an acute psychotic exacerbation. She was breast feeding her 5-month-old child, and she wished to continue breast feeding. Olanzapine treatment was started with a daily dosage of 15 mg. The weight-corrected maternal dose was 270 mug/kg. The olanzapine concentration in the mother’s plasma was 24 ng/mL. The analysis of olanzapine in breast milk applying two different high-performance liquid chromatography procedures revealed similar results: 12.2 ng/g without and 11.5 ng/g with additional hydrochloric acid extraction, respectively. In addition, breast milk of an unmedicated mother was used for establishing the analytical procedure so that the validity of the results was better confirmed. The milk-plasma ratio arising from our data was 0.5, and the relative infant dose was 0.3%. The olanzapine concentration was below the limit of detection (<5 ng/mL) in the infant’s plasma sample. No adverse effects were noticed, and the mother experienced a rapid improvement in her psychopathology during her hospital stay. In future studies, long-term follow-up of both mother and child would be useful.
CASE REPORT LAINNYA
- HIV transmission through breastfeeding: still possible in developed countries. Blumental S, Ferster A, Van den Wijngaert S, Lepage P. Pediatrics. 2014 Sep;134(3):e875-9. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-3022.
- Chronic food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome caused by cow’s milk proteins passed through breast milk. Miceli Sopo S, Monaco S, Greco M, Scala G. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2014;164(3):207-9. doi: 10.1159/000365104. Epub 2014 Jul 15.
- Hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria and nephrocalcinosis in a breast-fed term newborn: a rare presentation. Hazza IA, Ghandour MS, Almardini RI, Haddad RE, Salaita GM. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2014 Jul;25(4):849-53.
- Congenital epulis in a newborn. Yee J. Minn Med. 2014 May;97(5):39.
- Olanzapine treatment during pregnancy and breastfeeding: a chance for women with psychotic illness? Stiegler A, Schaletzky R, Walter G, Wüst R, Abele H, Goelz R, Farger G, Wiatr G, Fallgatter AJ, Batra A. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2014 Aug;231(15):3067-9. doi: 10.1007/s00213-014-3647-6. Epub 2014 Jun 18. No abstract available.
- Prolonged, but transient, elevation of liver and biliary function tests in a healthy infant affected with breast milk jaundice. Poddighe D, Castelli L, Marseglia GL, Bruni P. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 May 28;2014. pii: bcr2014204124. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-204124.
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus empyema Necessitatis in a breast-fed neonate. Rosebush J, Summers R, Snitzer J, Spearman P, Jerris R, Satola S. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014 Jun;33(6):668-9.
- Why is dental treatment of the gravid patient regarded with caution? When is the appropriate time for care–be it emergent or routine–in the gravid patient? Robinson BJ, Boyce RA. J N J Dent Assoc. 2014 Winter;85(1):11-4.
- Is Cronobacter sakazakii infection possible in an exclusively breastfed premature neonate in the neonatal intensive care unit? Ravisankar S, Syed SS, Garg P, Higginson J. J Perinatol. 2014 May;34(5):408-9.
Provided By DOKTER INDONESIA ONLINE Yudhasmara Foundation Medicine is not only a science; it is also an art. It does not consist of compounding pills and plasters; it deals with the very processes of life, which must be understood before they may be guided. Address MENTENG SQUARE Jl Mataraman 30 Menteng Phone 021-29614252 – 081315922012 – 081315922013 email : firstname.lastname@example.org http://dokterindonesiaonline.com Supported By “GRoW UP CLINIC” Editor in Chief : Audi Yudhasmara. Medical Advisory Panel : Dr Widodo Judarwanto, pediatrician email : email@example.com curriculum vitae: twitter @WidoJudarwanto facebook: www.facebook.com/widodo.judarwanto Mobile Phone O87880001083 PIN BB 76211048. Dr Narulita Dewi SpKFR, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Komunikasi dan Konsultasi: Dokter Indonesia Online-Facebook Komunikasi dan Konsultasi online : twitter @widojudarwanto facebook dr Widodo Judarwanto, pediatrician Komunikasi dan Konsultasi Online DOKTER INDONESIA ONLINE: Dokter Indonesia Online DOKTER ANAK ONLINE : Dokter Anak Online ALERGI ASMA : Allergy Clinic Online Komunikasi dan Konsultasi Online SULIT MAKAN DAN GANGGUAN BERAT BADAN : Picky Eaters Clinic Komunikasi Profesional Pediatric: Indonesia Pediatrician Online
Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. You should carefully read all product packaging. If you have or suspect you have a medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider
Copyright © 2016 @Dokter Indonesia Online – Informasi Edukasi Networking. All rights reserved